Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Andy Botha Your Knees Took A Hell Of A Beating

The inspiration for todays title....

Not unsurprisingly the view from the team physio yesterday is that my knee ligament clicking is probably down to over-use and should be rested.  In the absence of that, avoid hills and ride at a higher cadence.

But surprisingly my body feels like my own this morning, contrary to all expectation, and it rises from my bed just as instructed.  This fact alone, probably puts me in a better mood than is reasonable to expect.  The thought of a lay in tomorrow sealing the deal and I head out in high spirits.  Riding solo again today due to the various bike issues yesterday - actually quite relieved for once as it means I can do a far more gentle session without ruining anyone else's ride.

The extra hour in bed means I'm heading out at half 5 in some semblance of light and the sun isn't too far behind me.  The knees sound like I have a playing card pegged to my spokes for the first few km's but slowly warm up and calm down.

I opt for boredom, and a knee-friendly loop, over a longer, steeper route and end up doing 7 laps between the Rabat roundabout and the Hunters Bar roundabout.  Really dull but actually easy to switch off and just keep peddling.  At one stage I pass a lady (who we see every Sunday too) arms folded, standing "robustly" by her gate staring at the main road.  Re-defining the word "boredom" for me she's still there, un-moved, 2 laps and 25 minutes later.  Heaven help her husband when he finally gets home! :)

It's a pretty flat lap, but even so, I'm more than pleased that the knees held up and I managed to get to the office with 65km on the clock and an average speed of over 25kmh. 

I have to say it was one of those days when it all felt good - even the motorists were friendly and stopped to wave me in at roundabouts. Weird.  If there were traffic lights on that route I'm sure they'd all have been stuck on green for me today.  I'm just off to buy a lottery ticket now while my luck holds.


And here's my last song as I hit the car park...

No comments:

Post a Comment