Wednesday, July 14, 2010

What The $#*%* Am I Doing?

Hi. This is me, Andy, with my then wife-to-be in Barcelona on a weekend break in the summer of 2008. We look pretty happy don’t we? And with good reason, everything was good with the world as far as I could tell. Beautiful girlfriend, recently engaged, brand new role with a new company and starting the adventure of a lifetime in Malta, kids all fabulous and United had just won the Champions League for the second time. What more could a man ask for?

That was almost two years ago, and things have changed a fair bit since then. Claire and I are happily married, totally settled in Malta, the kids are still great, but regrettably United lost the title to Chelsea in May. And me? Well, I’m quite literally half the man I used to be -  I’ve gone from a hearty 13st 15lbs to 12st since then. How?

Well, my life has been totally turned upside down in the last four months and is focussed almost solely on cycling. I am living and breathing cycling. I’m hardly sleeping and it feels like every waking minute (outside of work) is either spent on a bike, or preparing to get on a bike. In theory I should be fitter than ever, yet my legs permanently feel like lead. My family hardly see me, and when they do I have one topic of conversation. So, what happened? How did I get into this sorry state?

Take a closer look... Do I look just a little too happy? I agree, the camera doesn’t lie, and I think it’s fair to say I had to ask myself whether I had started to let myself go. Just a little. And when I say I had to ask myself, all you men will know that what I really mean is that Claire was asking me whether I had started to let myself go.

I took the “advice” on board and agreed that the new life in a new country was a perfect opportunity to make a fresh start - and the most of not having a two hour commute to work every day. Easier said than done - the Mediterranean lifestyle is seductive I tell you! I spent my first year not just enjoying the 10 minute commute but also the extra time that allowed me to appreciate the weather, the food and the drink of the region.

That said, the Betfair team are a pretty active bunch and I did have a wedding to prepare for, so I did find myself doing a bit more exercise than before. In 2009 Betfair agreed to sponsor a local charity which raises funds and awareness for the renal patients at the main hospital on the island. Three of my Betfair colleagues joined a group of 19 riders in their annual challenge – a 2,000km bike ride between Turkey and Syria – well that sounds like a bit of a laugh I thought. Sadly, I told them, I’d love to join too but it clashes with my honeymoon. Ask me again next year, eh?

Fast forward another seven months and, who’d have thought it, they bl**dy well did! This year’s challenge has been billed as the biggest yet, starting in Venice and finishing in Manchester at Old Trafford, once again supported by Betfair. “We” at Betfair thought it would be great to get as many cyclists as possible from the office to take part, and much debate could be heard as to how much fun in would be to do the ride - there was talk of over 25 cyclists just from the office here!

Obviously I was interested. I’d never done anything like it before. At that point I’d never cycled more than 25 km in one day and challenges with long lead-ins hadn’t really been my forte. I’d aways liked to see the finish line; otherwise I tended to lose motivation and interest quite quickly. However, I thought, maybe it was time I set myself a challenge and did something I’d remember for the rest of my life?

I talked it through with Claire. “Sounds like a big commitment, are you sure?” She knew me better than I thought. “Yes, I don’t think it will be that bad.” Me selling it to myself. “That’s a lot of cycling, are you fit enough?” Ditto the knowing me better thing. “No, but there’s a lot of time to train, it’ll be fine!” Me convincing myself “Hhmmm well, ok, if you’re sure?” Claire doubtful but supportive. “I think I want to give it a go – it looks like fun, and it finishes at Old Trafford. Anyway, how hard can it be?”

And, with those - in hindsight rather famous last words - the decision was made, and I signed up for The Betfair LifeCycle Challenge 2010; The Devil’s Highway. A 2,050km ride across Europe (and the Alps) over 11 days. I am one of forty riders taking part (including an amazing 15 from Betfair) with a 25-strong back up team.

Twelve weeks in, I’ve cycled over 3,700km, climbing 35,400 metres in the process. I am the same weight I was at 18, some 25 years ago. I rarely go to bed after 10pm, and I’m up by 4.45am most days to train before work. My weekend’s currently revolve around an 80km ride on a Saturday and a 160km ride on a Sunday. What was I thinking???

What’s that? “Only 15 from Betfair?” you say, “wasn’t there talk of 25?” Yes, that’s right. It seems that a few of those interested in "A Great Experience" or "A Once-in-a-Lifetime Opportunity" decided maybe it was not quite such a draw after all. Can you believe one of them even came up with the lame excuse of getting married and being on honeymoon!!?? Maybe they were the sensible ones.....

This is my story…

1 comment:

  1. I feel you Andy.. we feel you!! I feel exactly the same way! :) Just Clueless! :)

    ReplyDelete