Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 94 - An Apparently Sedate 75km Around Malta

Claire and I passed like ships in the night yesterday - she headed out for a night on the town with her mates just as I got home from my evening ride, leaving me to fend for myself.  All of a sudden I felt a totally irrational sense of guilt thinking I should be doing something family related!  "Where's the catch? Am I going to get beaten senseless for not offering some kind of sacrifice?"  Apparently not!


Then I had a sense of panic - "what do I do now?  Relax and watch TV? Clean the bike? Go to bed early and catch up on sleep?"  I had no idea how institutionalised I've become by the routine forced on me after weeks of LifeCycle Boot Camp and could barely cope with the disruption to normal service.  Life after LifeCycle - I hope there's a book on how to cope with the loss. 

Eventually the anxiety subsided and I managed to make some dinner, watch a bit of TV and hit the hay around 10.30pm  I had the deepest sleep I've had in months and have absolutely no idea what time Claire came home, but found it almost impossible to get up after the alarm went off.  The closest yet to reaching Reason 3 and needing to find a 4th and 5th, but snatched getting up from the jaws of sleeping in.

After Dan's 80km sprint with Lenny yesterday, he joined me for what he calls a "sedate" 75km stroll around the island this morning.  Rude!  See for your self and you decide if you'd call 23kmh sedate!

Day 94 - A Sedate 75km Around Malta

To be fair, the ride felt reasonably painless and I'm pleased to say that "knocking out" a quick 75km before breakfast is not so much of a challenge these days.  Not sure that means I'm ready to do 200km+ before dinner every day for 11 days though.

Sadly I didn't get to buy that lottery ticket the other day, which may prove a costly error since lady luck continues to shine her light this way.  Ian and I had a great meeting with a potential sponsor today, BMIT Ltd - an internet hosting company on the island - who agreed to be a platinum sponsor.  Making our way steadily towards the target we need to reach!

Thanks also to "The Weasel Pack" - another group of riders taking part in the challenge this year for their support this week.  Much appreciated gents, thank you.  As I said before you can feel a real "whole" team is beginning to be built from all of the smaller groups now, looking out for each other, and perfectly timed for the beginning of the adventure.

Last song on the iPod today? This was playing as I headed down the ramp into the depths of the Betfair car park; an absolute classic...

No comments:

Post a Comment