Tuesday, August 17, 2010

4 8 15 16 23 42

Day 2 Ride Stats And Map : Click Here For The Route

A 6am start today but once again I’m awake a good half hour before the alarm, courtesy of my nerves and my colleagues and their gentle snoring. It’s still dark outside and the view from our window is of the church steeple and the Lake in the background, the far shoreline lit by the street lights and houses. Not a bad wake up call.



Surprisingly, after a good warm up and stretch the legs don’t feel too bad. The room is incredibly cramped for 5 of us, and in the cold light of day I wonder how we managed to fit us all in. Not dissimilar to the situation with my luggage which seems to be expanding by the day and now is overflowing from my case, sports bag and rucksack!!


I’ve lost my route cards – filed “somewhere safe” and to avoid frustration decide to rely on the gps and the road signs, and enjoy not knowing what kinds of hills lay in wait for me. I’d also managed to lose the covers for my sleeping bag and mattress – just before I’m about to lose all sense of reason, they show up under another case, so crisis averted.


The mood around the breakfast area is good, more last minute bike preparation and we’re all good to go again, on time, for an 8am start. Just shy of 190km today and due to see a few more slopes today. Heading out of Toscolano there’s a cyclist coming the other way, down the hill. In the space of two days I’ve seen two cyclists that show the two extremes of Italy – the guy yesterday that would have given Dean Martin and the Rat Pack a run for their money in the cool stakes and, today, the garish underbelly of Italy – an overweight, balding guy in bright pink lycra cycling top and shorts. Hilarious – if nothing else it gave us a chuckle heading up the first incline of the day.


The group split and I found myself with Dan, Dave and some of the Maltese riders through a number of tunnels and more stunning scenery until we reached Breschia after 40km, in good time and feeling good too. For the next 45km to the next checkpoint, and lunch, we re-formed the Team Betfair peloton from yesterday with a guest celebrity in the form of Marcel. Great to be riding as a group, but really hard to concentrate and focus with a draft that long. I found I was enjoying the second session less, made worse with about 10km to go when I felt my energy levels really low again, and feeling shaky. It’s fair to say if there were any pies at the checkpoint I would have eaten them all, no debate. Instead I settled for 2 jacket potatoes, 3 nutella sandwiches and 2 jam sandwiches. No danger of feeling like that again today!


The group carried after lunch, but Dan, Lenny , Chris and I dropped off to wait with Roger after he got a puncture on his new Bat Bike. The ride to the next checkpoint went quickly, and the smaller group made it far easier to draft and enjoy the ride. By the time we hit checkpoint 3 the rest of the team were about to head off again. Rogers tyre was flat again – apparently he may have a Bat Bike but it has inner tubes that Batman wouldn’t be seen dead on! We left him fitting a new tube, donated to the cause and we were down to four.


The roads were far more hilly – with some tiring inclines followed by some fabulous winding down hills. One climb in particular was a beast – a 12% climb for over 2km – a good test for tomorrow. We passed Como, and crossed the Swiss border. A gap between us all so as to avoid being stopped and checked as a group. We navigated this potentially problematic area with no issues. But sadly our back up teams didn’t and were delayed for over two hours by the border guards who clearly curious as to what we’d be having for tea.


Once across the border the slopes came fast and furious. At the top of the first one Lenny screeched to a halt so fast I didn’t want to know what was wrong. Apparently a cold drink was in order to celebrate the climb and entering Switzerland. I gave him €10 for the 3 cokes and my sprite. Maybe enough in Italy but not in Switzerland. I suggested we pass but he insisted – “No Andy, We need the sugar”. He came back and passed out 3 cokes. No Sprite apparently so he got me a Coke Zero – so much for the sugar!


We crossed the lake, a beautiful green with the mountains all around, and then headed into Lugano itself. Stunning, but incredibly busy roads! Safely through we made it to the accommodation for the night. 190km down and just less than 8 hours riding completed.


The back up teams were all there already and the bags were unloaded. I have no idea what the place is, but it bares a remarkable resemblance to a Darma Initiative site from the Lost Island – sealable doors, bunk beds, and even what would pass for a de-contamination shower!! But the beds are a welcome site, the showers are hot, and there is plenty of space. Not quite the 5 star luxury of the seafront hotels down the road, but it ticks all the boxes for me.


With the extra hour over yesterday, and a routine beginning to form, we’re all done and eating dinner by around half seven. Another long day, but not a moment to stop and think none the less. A really enjoyable ride, despite the hills making it more challenging.


I don’t doubt that there will be many times in the next 10 days when I wish I was anywhere but on the challenge, or on a bike. But for now, I may have aching limbs and be slightly concerned about the big challenge of St Gotthards tomorrow, I can reflect on 2 days that were far more enjoyable than I ever thought they would be.


Talking to the other riders I get a similar sense of a variety of injuries and aches, but that the first two days have passed through some fantastic sights and proved to be all they hoped for. On top of that the team spirit and atmosphere is really good despite it being such a large group.


Roll on St Gotthards...

(no pictures tonight, sorry, but I can't get them to load.  Will try again tomorrow, big mountains permitting!!)

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic blog, who's the writer now. Go for it, over the mountains, can't wait for next bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoying the diary Andy. It brings the whole thing to life for us couch potatoes. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. travel writer - a new career beckons!!

    best of luck to all, great start!

    s

    ReplyDelete