Friday, August 20, 2010

It's Official! Today is a Good Day

First things first. It’s easy to be so wrapped up in what’s going on here, when you’re living and breathing it from when you wake to when you go to sleep, that life at home can be forgotten. Well last night and this morning I found that harder to do than up ‘til now. I’ve just spoken to Claire who had a doctors appointment today and is very very happy indeed! And so am I. It’s now official - we’re 12 weeks in and everything looks good so I can tell you – we’re going to have a baby!! Not a bad way to end the day :) :)

Todays Ride Stats

Last night after I signed off something happened that defined LifeCycle for me. At 10.15pm Lewis and Ed made it in to the accommodation. They’d been out since 8am like everyone else. Ed was carrying an injury and Lewis had the day to end all days. He got lost twice, he lost his passport, his cleats broke, he got stung by a bee and then rode in the dark with a light so dim he could barely see his tyre. He rode at 5km/h waiting for cars to pass so he could get light from them to hopefully see a LifeCycle road sign. There’s optimism (or faith in the bike Gods) for you. In the end they rode in with the support vehicle behind them to give them light to see. Over 12 long hours after they headed out they made it back. I can’t imagine how tough that was, and can only hope I have the courage and commitment to carry on when (not if) I found myself in a similar situation. I’m not sure I will mind you. Beyond impressive. And what’s more Lewis was smiling. He was so proud to have got through that day that everything he’d gone through was irrelevant by the end. Brilliant.

And let’s not forget the support teams. The back up team that went to look for them and had the patience not to just sweep them in to the van to get home quick. And the crew doing food who waited so they could eat when they got in, with no complaint. That whole thing summed up the team spirit of the event for me in one lesson.

So, family worries aside, this morning we woke to a cold dark morning. Which turned into a cold but bright sunny morning by 7.30am, no more than 12 degrees. Many knee and other injuries, together with the Lewis/Ed incident leant a different mood to the morning. After the briefing and a few cautionary words we were off. We headed into tall tree lined countryside and went steady in the cold air. Dan’s knee was heavily strapped and moving carefully. Lenny was checking his rear wheel and heard the shouts too late to avoid hitting David Souchet and then hitting the floor. “What did you stop for? I wasn’t looking!” – classic. No bones broken, and more importantly, no bike parts broken either.

At 8km we hit a 4km climb of 8% - tough going and Dan fell behind. When he reached the top, Lenny and I had waited, but he told us to go on ahead. It was like a scene from a war film. “You go on boys, I’ll cover you.” We left him behind and moved further into the ride. I had mixed feeling about this I have to say. I didn’t want to leave my training partner behind. I was worried, not only that he might not make the end of the day, but that it might also affect my confidence not having him around. And most importantly we had promised our wives that we’d look after each other and I was terrified about what Hannah would do to me when she found out I’d left him on the streets of some village in Germany. Certainly not the Delta Force spirit, but he assured me there were plenty of riders to stick with today. I agreed, knowing another long ride might not be good for my behind.

It was warming up and we rode alone. The scenery was great – huge fields of green as far as you can see, and then canyons made of trees that lead you through to the next part of the forest. The ride was really enjoyable even. I could think of home and still enjoy what was going on around me. I was still honking to try and save my backside from a fate worse than a fate worse than death.

I have to be honest and tell you that I was so worried about it yesterday that I let a female other than my wife have a look. She was a doctor, so it’s ok. Technically at least, although I’m still not sure I’m 100% comfortable with the idea. Bet she’s not either! And, to be fair, I’m not sure Claire would look even if I asked!! Apparently it’s not life threatening yet, even if it feels like it. I took that to mean “stop whining and let me treat a real patient!”

What was great was that there were also plenty of yellow jerseys to be seen. The country side was so vast and teams were slowing and speeding up, so we saw lots of different groups.

By 20km we saw one of the back up vans scream past us back the other way. And shortly after past us again, telling us to stop. Apparently we’d missed a turn and they wanted to be sure. After a 10 minute wait they finally returned and we had gone wrong. We could see a route back to the course on the gos but we were told to turn round and head back to the place we’d gone wrong. An extra 5km for us, and an extra 12km for John, Pierre, Jez and the other Betfair riders. Except Evan, Roger and Chris. Ever the rebels they carried on!

We reached the place in Marazell Village where we should have turned, and Alan and his mystery machine were there to guide us. We saw a little old lady in her garden watching us all very carefully. Suspecting skulduggery, in the form of sign stealing by the locals, we stopped and confronted her. Freddie (Alan), Daphne (Shirley) and Thelma (Joanne) pulled her mask off to reveal none other than Hannah Staples! She would have got away with it too if it wasn’t for those pesky back up kids!!  Those Staples sure are competitive!! :)

So now Dan was back in front of us. No matter. He was fine and nothing could spoil the mood of the day for me. I was loving the ride and couldn’t wait to speak to Claire later. The check point was due at 44km. It wasn’t. What a difference in response compared to yesterday. I was totally thrown yesterday afternoon as I was so focussed on getting there, to my sanctuary, from the slog of the ride. Today I didn’t mind at all. I didn’t want the ride to be interrupted, despite the ups and downs (literal ones, in the road, not figurative ones), and enjoyed the extra few km’s.

Nick joined Lenny and I as we left the checkpoint and we visited more villages and country side. Polite car drivers ever patient as we rode together, basking in the sun and the tranquillity of it all. It sounds blissful doesn’t it? Not far off. The only issue was Lenny hitting a pavement and going over again! Two in one day after never having fallen before. Not a happy 86km and Checkpoint 2 was there before we knew it. A lovely restaurant, all the usual suspects there enjoying a nice lunch and relaxation, knowing it was only another 50 odd km to go.

Now we were in the heart of the Black Forest and we set off in good spirits and down a road running alongside a river and the forest opposite. A left turn and we were onto the first demon of the day – a 4km climb through the forest, at a gradient of 13%. Tough going and in the hottest part of the day the group thinned quickly to their own steady pace. A good 20-30 minute climb, focussing on small sections at a time and not thinking how far left to go. In the zone, just focussed on turning the pedals at a constant cadence that wouldn’t strain knees, yet take too long either.

Lenny’s chain comes off and I learnt a few more Maltese swear words to go with the ones I picked up earlier. I think it’s fair to say that Lance, the God of Bikes is not looking too kindly on him today!

We reach the top, a short downhill and then straight into another climb – 6km at a gradient of 6% - a steady climb but far easier to get into a happy rhythm, and the three of us chatted our way through quite happily.

And then, some relief. A 15km downhill with the forest on both sides – 20 minutes of solid downhill riding at speeds up to 60km/h but averaging around 45km/h. What an amazing feeling to be flying down such a long hill after months of training in Siggiewi!!!

Through Baden Baden and out the other side and another 15km to go. One more big climb Lenny said. It’s a beast! A 3km climb at a gradient of 15%. Huge. Ridicluous. It towers up over you when you look up. I try not to. It’s winding so you can’t see What’s ahead. But, masochistically, you really want to know. Then you turn the bend and wish you didn’t after all. For the first time this trip I am drenched in sweat. It’s so hot it’s dripping into my eyes, and my shirt is stuck to me. It’s a country of extreme weather is all I can say! At the top of the ridge we think it’s all over and a left turn is sign-posted. Nope. It carries on for another 750m after the turn, until we finally hit the top.

Down through a small village and we reach a downhill. We read the cards – its a 3km drop. Fantastic! But what’s that?? With 10km to go we read that there is ANOTHER 14% 3k climb to come before home. How did we miss that? Gutted, but not suicidal we enjoy the hill and steel ourselves for one last climb.

It doesn’t materialise. It’s a typo and is actually a downhill – bonus!! Now that’s motivational!! :)  We’re into the village, past a fabulous black forest bakery (straight back there in a minute)and turn the corner to the stop. Made it in before 3pm – the target for the day. I’d guess I honked at least 110km of today’s 135km – I don’t have quads anymore, they’re now officially dects!!

Dan and Steve picked up their pace after the lunch stop and came in only just behind Lenny, Nick and I. Good news all round. We settle into our routine to get it all out of the way so we can enjoy a few hours spare time before bed and another big day tomorrow.

Me? I’d better get used to this not sleeping much, but I couldn’t be happier, and have another reason to get to Manchester!

3 comments:

  1. great news - made up for you

    s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your news guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what the hell are you talking about an old lady pulling off her mask to reveal me in Marazell Village? You on some butt-pain-relieving drugs?? You left Dan alone again today (saturday 21st)? Tut tut Andy, you were supposed to stay together...??!

    ReplyDelete