Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Tricky Fourth Day

Sadly I didn't do over 700km today but still worth looking at the route!

So it seems we’ve moved from the Darma Bunker to the film set for the Great Escape – wooden cabins with bunk beds in straight from the film, I’m sure! But no complaints from anyone – it beats the sleeping bags for sure.

It’s cold outside but looks to be clearing up. There’s a real mix of outfits today – I opt for long tights under my shorts (nice) as well as overshoes (classy) and arm warmers (the touch). Lee goes for the same, Dan skips the tights (preferring to save them for a special occasion I think) and Evan opts to go commando and forego all of the above. He’s the optimist of the bunch.

Pretty much all of the Maltese opt for anything they can find to keep them warm now we are away from our sunny isle. That, and they are more experienced and probably know better to be safe than sorry. Setting off from the accommodation we go through Altdorf and out the other side skirting Lake Lucerne. The mist was still covering the tops of the surrounding mountains, sun was breaking through making shafts of light on the rock and the water was a beautiful green. The route took us along cycle lanes that hugged the lake giving us amazing views as we went. If not a few hairy moments trying to cross the roads to get to them. A stunning way to start the day.

We entered Brunnen, a lovely Swiss village and started a really long steady climb from 18km to just over 30km varying from 4% to 8% gradients. A really tough first hill to start with after yesterday. A big group split into smaller clusters as we made our way up. After 25km I realised Dan and Lenny weren’t in my group and I dropped back to see where they were. Dan was struggling with a sore knee and was taking things slowly so we completed the climb together as a three.

I actually really enjoyed the climb and found, in the same way that necessity is the mother of invention, that honking (riding out of the saddle) was good for me. It certainly kept my increasingly tender backside away from the cause of all that discomfort. Having previously been unable to honk for me than a few hundred yards, I climbed the whole hill that way. And even found myself enjoying the gentle rhythm that it allowed me to get into.

As we reached the top the weather closed in, and the downhill was done in strong winds and rain which made it tricky to reach any speed – a max of around 50km/h was the best we could do in those conditions. None of us could see because of the rain on our glasses and hot chocolate was called for. Dave also caught us up just before Checkpoint 1 at 53km just as the rain eased off.

My knees weren’t too bad, while my rear end was clearly winning the battle today. It was weird – out of the saddle there was no pain at all, not even a slight tingle. But sit down, and it was as if my body was shooting a machine gun at me, trying to make me dance to avoid the bullets. Sorry to go on about it, but I can’t begin to tell you how painful it is. You spend hours trying to find any variation on seat position just to find a spot that isn’t as sore as the rest – the hours really fly by. NOT!

As we left checkpoint 1 I have to tell you I was thinking that I would have nothing to write about tonight. 25% down, the day seemed a foregone conclusion, a mere 50km to the next checkpoint, over half way and we’ll be in with no problems. And that’s when LifeCycle bites you in the arse.

The second 50km took longer than expected. A combination of the hills and Dans knee slowed us down, while the pain I was suffering made it feel even slower. By the time we got there the sun was out and it was like a totally different day. Evan was grinning like a Cheshire cat and we all shed our layers as soon as we could. Except the tights, they felt good. Or, they were just too long to get off, so didn’t bother. You decide!

The support teams were nowhere to be found. Apparently they’d gone off to rescue some riders who’d veered on to the motorway. We bought an amazingly good value lunch from the restaurant – a mere 30 euros for 4 coffees and 2 sandwiches and relaxed until the support teams showed up. The Others set off and Dan got some strapping for his knee. A long stop, over 45 minutes in all and we were losing sight of the finish line. More hills, in the heat and by the time we hit 100km we agreed the pace was slow. We set Lenny and Dave loose to go on and catch the others as they were feeling strong, while Dan and I carried on at a slower pace.

The old team back together again. Despite the pain and the wish to be moving faster and, frankly, just being somewhere else, the scenery was stunning. Green fields everywhere, swiss chalets littered around, birds of prey overhead and swallows circling too. The swiss red arrows even gave us a show. It was difficult not to feel some sense of the tranquillity of the place.

Eventually we passed through customs (not border patrol apparently) and through a stunning Marlow-esque village on the river. And then a series of tortuous steep hill climbs that felt like they went on for ever. Not as long as yesterday by any stretch but in the heat, and after yesterday, they took their toll.

We crossed the border, more great views, finished our water and ploughed on for the checkpoint knowing it was just around the corner. It wasn’t. We were both in need of water and not seeing it was surprisingly de-motivating. We agreed to carry on and buy a drink from the next shop. There wasn’t one. I texted Alan to let him know we’d missed the checkpoint before we carried on, at least knowing we were on the right track. Another steep climb. Each one with Dan in as fast a gear as his knee will allow and me in one that allowed me to honk and move!

I waited at the top, Alan replied. They’d moved the checkpoint. By 3km. We’d just done them. All uphill, but in hindsight were glad the stop was after that climb! The boys were all there, and just setting off as we arrived. The Weasels arrived just behind us. Great hospitality, a huge coke and a fantastic piece of German cake to get our energy up.

50km to go. Now feeling like a huge ask. 4-30 already and looking like a 7pm finish. Not much to look forward to there as we set off. Guess what. Another huge climb straight around the corner from the stop. On the bright side, the roads were great, the cars were very few, the peace was good and we were able to ride side by side without being hooted at by Maltese drivers for once. The chat kept us going through the country until we reached the main roads. Pace picked up, partly due to the roads and partly because we just wanted to get there. Averages of less than 30 minutes so far for each 10km stepped up to nearer 23/24 minutes. Much better. But not without taking a toll on Dan’s knee. And mine too were showing signs of the strain and suggesting very politely for me to stop or slow down at least. No chance

Comfort break for Dan, and I saw a few missed calls/texts from Steve Mault about our arrival. Responses and replies carried on while we travelled at 30km/h on the road. Not ideal but I didn’t want to stop again. I wasn’t sure I’d start if we did!

We counted down the last 10km, now back on the country roads, drafting and switching every 1km to keep it fresh (!). 175km became 177km, then 179km. We thought we were looking for Willengen, but saw a sign suggesting it was 7km further. Please, no!

Thankfully, no was the right answer. The next sign took us to the stop for the night. Bang on 180km, and we finally dismounted for the day. I have no idea how but we made it in before half 6 – the last 50km far quicker than we expected, thankfully.

The boys were all there. Apart from Lenny. Lenny was lost in Germany – Soner desperately trying to get him on the phone. He’d missed a sign and ended up 20km further on. The third sign miss for him today – we’re realising its not his strong suit! It seems he’s not alone and quite a few teams left the course at various points.

The accommodation is a sports hall – loads of space and great showers so no complaints. Even though we’ll be on the floor once again. The food was excellent, as usual and I ate my own weight in rice. Curry night! I am determined not to lose any more weight than I have although Lenny tells me I’ll be a stone lighter!

180km. 8 hours and 40 minutes. The longest ride, time-wise, we’d done so far. An easy grey morning turned into a sunny endurance test that I wasn’t sure we’d finish before dark. It just goes to show you can’t take anything for granted.  I'd say I honked for about 150km today and found quad muscles I never knew I had.  Big effort from Dan, and from many of us - the queue for treatment from the physios is getting longer at each stop and days end now.

Yesterday was like a big European Champions League fixture where we were 5 down at the end of the first leg, but won 6-5 on aggregate, and felt glorious. Today was like a tricky mid week home fixture against Everton. One up at half time we were lucky to scrape a draw after going down to 10 men and seeing Everton have two good goals disallowed and before they missed a last minute penalty. Lucky to walk away with a point!  But that's how you win titles!

It’s gone 10pm already as we finished late so that’s it for me. Tomorrow is an allegedly short 130km bit has a few horrors in it so I am preparing for the worst!

3 comments:

  1. Sleep well and good luck for tomorrow, Andy...So not surprised to hear that Lenny got lost. He is possibly the worst navigator I'eve ever met!!!

    Hope Dan's knee doesn't get any worse. Thanks for the blogs, they're amazing!

    Cavey

    ReplyDelete
  2. My knees are getting quite sore reading this blog. Amazing psychosomatic tendencies your writing has on me!

    I think by lunch time I'll be hovering above my swivel chair to work at my desk, having decided that my knees aren't as bad as the swivel chair sore that I must be developing after the fourth day...

    Hefty pats on the backs of all the Betfair boys and girl, and a friendly nod to all the others on the ride from Ben M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done guys - the whole team are doing an amazing job and I'm loving the blog. Keep going, not long to the half way mark and its downhill all the way after that. Honk honk!

    ReplyDelete